Monday, June 24, 2013

Moving Along

Things have been going well. Not much to report, actually. The car is still in the shop, but we should get it back tomorrow all fixed up! We had a very pleasant weekend. Saturday we went to the zoo in Omaha, and it was wonderful. I can see why they say it is one of the top zoos in the country. We visited the desert dome first, and after that, we felt like we had already gotten our money's worth! They had a ton of stuff there, most notably the new desert dome, the giant indoor rain-forest, and the aquarium. The creatures of the night, underneath the desert dome, was also very impressive. The had an underground swamp with alligators and beavers and everything. One thing the zoo did VERY well, was put you in the environment. You are thrown right into the habitat of the animals, not just looking from a distance. Also worth mentioning is the beautiful butterfly/insect house. I had a butterfly come and land on me =)

Sunday we went to church, relaxed, read, I sorted through some of my magic cards Chad from church (at home) gave me, and after going out to eat and shopping at Walmart, Rich and Avery came over to play Settlers of Catan. We love that game.

Today, Monday, we got a day off, because Dr. Peterson is at a conference, Tanner is still out of town looking at houses in Oklahoma where he will be moving, and we finished all our assignments. We have developed a discrete Green's function, and we have been exploring its properties. They are much the same as the discrete case, I think. We then expanded it to a general time scale. I have helped in finding the max, first and second derivatives, and I was assigned recently to generalize the Lidstone boundary value problems in the discrete case. Now that we have gotten into research and not just class all the time, I'm really enjoying it. I can see myself enjoying math research later in life. I still don't know what branch of math I would want to go into, though. But I have time! I do need to start thinking about grad schools and applications soon, though....

Hope everyone is doing well!

2 comments:

  1. The zoo sounds amazing! I'm glad you got to see it. Settlers of Catan is a fun game. I sure enjoyed playing it. I'm glad you taught us how to play. Sounds like math is going well. How has the weather been there? Is it as humid as it is in Evansville?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, actually, it is not very humid here (despite what people here may say). Mostly, the sun is just hot, so if you are in the shade, it's pretty pleasant, but if you are sitting in the sun, it gets hot fast.

    ReplyDelete